Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STAUN Internal Beadlocks

Staun Products website: http://www.staunproducts.com/beadlock.php

I ran across this product at a local offroad shop. In talking with Erik Jordan (Nailer341) about my problem of my tires spinning on my wheels after every trail run and throwing the balance out, I found out he and been part of an event with the manufacturer here locally along with Brian Jensen (Blktj) and Blaine Johnson (mrblaine) sometime ago. They all said that the product is good and is a good solution for the issues I was having from running low tire pressure offroad.

I decided to try out a pair of them in my rear tires. Since I'm locked on the rear axle that's where I've been haveing the worst balance problem. I will most likely end up getting them for the front too, but for now my open diff doesn't put as much stress on the tires as it would if it was locked.

I have also been fearfull of losing a bead on the trail so I've never run less than about 12psi in my tires, and frankly it's been said that anything under 18lbs is at risk for popping a bead. They really don't squash down as much as I would like, but now I don't have to worry about running them at 6 or 8 psi, or zero for that matter!!

The link above is the manufacturers site and there's great information on the product and the testing done so far. If you do a yahoo search for 'staun internal beadlocks' you'll find a variety of other reports, test, and write-ups on the product.

Here's my write-up from JeepBBS on my Staun internal beadlocks install:

Harry Lewellyn, the local factory rep for Staun products came up Friday afternoon and we pulled my MT/R's off and installed the beadlocks in them.

Went without a hitch really. Took about two hours bell to bell. The second one took about half as long as the first. There are a lot of little details to keep track of, but Harry has done enough of them that he knows all the little kinks. The hardest part was getting the beadlock cover over the inner tube while keeping the wheel lined up on the rim. I had just had them balanced so we marked the tire to the rim and tried to keep them aligned. Harry kept telling me I should just get them balanced again anyway. That added a little extra challenge to the project but we got them back on with the marks all lined up. Balance must not be too far off after the install as they run pretty smooth.

We drilled the rim for the second valve stem, and chamfered the holes for the interanal innertube. The we lubed the rim between the beads with a dry non-silicone spray lubricant, then coated the beadlock cover rims and inside surface with talc. That lets everything position itself on first inflation.

Seems like a great product. I can't wait to try them out. My biggest issue was the tire spinning on the rim and throwing my balance out every trip. I guess I got a lot of other benefits by going this route. I can now safely run a lower psi for offroad and not have to worry about popping a bead.

I was impressed with the TYREPLIER and tire irons Harry had. I guess I need a complete set for the trail, or at least to be able to service my own tires. But $250 for the kit - OUCH!! I don't imagine I'll really need to fiddle with them on the trail, but I will need them down the road for a flat repair to to replace the tires. I was extremely surprised at how easy it is to mount and dismount a tire like that. It's not any harder than the dirt bikes
    we used to do, in fact, I think it's easier.

Get yourself a set of STAUN INTERNAL BEADLOCKS - They're GREAT!!

FWIW, I regularly run 9psi in the rocks and have yet to roll a bead off of its seat. The Staun beadlocks are indeed a great product from what I have seen, but not great enough for me to fork over that much $$$.
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

it is strange how some people have the problem of spinning the wheel inside the tire, and others dont.
      i was having this problem every time i went wheeling until i got the beadlocks.
      rolling the bead off of the rim isnt something that happens often, but i have done it.

in chris's defense, rolling the bead off of the rim wasnt his reason for buying these, although the stauns will eliminate this.
      he got them to keep from having to rebalance his tires every time he wheels.

another benefit to these is the fact that you can actually run on a completely flat tire, and likely not even know it.
      i think it was cody in a competition that recently did this. he finished the obstical with a flat that would have otherwise knocked him out of the comp.
      i am not sure on all of the details on this, but i think i covered tha basics.
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I think if I was spinning the wheel inside the tire I would invest in new rims rather than the beadlocks. I may be wrong but if you are spinning the wheel inside the tire then there must be a problem with the tires or rims. What tires are you running?
        92 YJ, 35s, Atlas 4 speed 10:1, 4.88s SYE, RE 4.5 XD, 2' BL, D44s, Alloys shafts, Lockers, Snorkel, skid plates, roll cage, winch

Comment

Originally posted by paultyler
          I think if I was spinning the wheel inside the tire I would invest in new rims rather than the beadlocks. I may be wrong but if you are spinning the wheel inside the tire then there must be a problem with the tires or rims. What tires are you running?
          YOU'RE KIDDING, RIGHT????:homer:

Comment

its all about torque and low tire pressure
            i had that problem with te steel wheels. fixed with beadlocks.
            oh... the tires are mt/r's.
            ERIK

Comment

I'm sure he just doesn't realise it happens with any standard rim and tire at low air pressure.
              myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by cjdirtbiker
                YOU'RE KIDDING, RIGHT????:homer:
                YEAH...THAT'S IT. I'M KIDDING.
                It is just that I have never seen someone have this problem "after every trail run". Maybe every now and then, but not every time.
                Last edited by paultyler; 09-02-05, 08:08 AM.
                92 YJ, 35s, Atlas 4 speed 10:1, 4.88s SYE, RE 4.5 XD, 2' BL, D44s, Alloys shafts, Lockers, Snorkel, skid plates, roll cage, winch

Comment

It is just that I have never seen someone have this problem "after every trail run". Maybe every now and then, but not every time.
                  i cant speak for anyone else, but i would mark the tire with a china marker right at the valve stem when i was leaving the house. at the end of the trail, the matk wouldnt be at the valve stem any more.
                  i got so fed up with bouncing down the freeway to get home that i had to do something about it.
                  waiting in line at the tire place wasnt it
                  ERIK

Comment

Chuckles. No offense Paul.
                    Seems this is common with lockers and 35's. There's a pretty good explanation at the STAUN site about what the product is and what it does. And yes, every trail run my tires would be way out of balance. I run 8" Eagle Alloys with 35" MT/R's so I didn't have so much worry about losing a bead, but I was afraid to go less than 12-14psi. Staun says anything under 18psi runs that risk. With the Staun internal beadlocks you can run zero if you have to, the tire bead is locked onto the rim from the inside. 7-8psi is a good pressure for a TJ for rocks, the tires are nice and soft, they ride nice offroad too. Pretty neat invention really. They're just kind of fussy about how they get installed inside the tire.

I ended up having to have the two tires with the locks re-balanced this week in prep for the trip. One of them took 11oz to balance and it's slightly out of round. Ideally it would have made sense to rotate the tire 180deg on the rim in an effort to eliminate some of the lead to balance it. But with the bead lock in there that was out of the question, the monkeys at the tire store would never have gotten it back together. They run pretty darn smooth now. I still have a problem with one of my fronts, I get a pretty bad shimmey at 60-65, smooths out at 70. So I guess I'll try my spare, it's new, on each front location to see if I can eliminate it. I haven't put the beadlocks in front yet, I wanted to try them out back first, that's where my locker is and where I was having problems with them moving on the rim.

I think it's pretty remarkable that we can set these rigs up for aggressive rock crawling and have them do 70mph on the freeway too. Speaks a lot for the technology. My jeep build-up is only a few months old and a couple of thousand miles so I'm still sorting out a few gremlins.

Comment

Originally posted by cjdirtbiker
                      Chuckles. No offense Paul.
                      Seems this is common with lockers and 35's. There's a pretty good explanation at the STAUN site about what the product is and what it does. And yes, every trail run my tires would be way out of balance. I run 8" Eagle Alloys with 35" MT/R's so I didn't have so much worry about losing a bead, but I was afraid to go less than 12-14psi. Staun says anything under 18psi runs that risk. With the Staun internal beadlocks you can run zero if you have to, the tire bead is locked onto the rim from the inside. 7-8psi is a good pressure for a TJ for rocks, the tires are nice and soft, they ride nice offroad too. Pretty neat invention really. They're just kind of fussy about how they get installed inside the tire.

I ended up having to have the two tires with the locks re-balanced this week in prep for the trip. One of them took 11oz to balance and it's slightly out of round. Ideally it would have made sense to rotate the tire 180deg on the rim in an effort to eliminate some of the lead to balance it. But with the bead lock in there that was out of the question, the monkeys at the tire store would never have gotten it back together. They run pretty darn smooth now. I still have a problem with one of my fronts, I get a pretty bad shimmey at 60-65, smooths out at 70. So I guess I'll try my spare, it's new, on each front location to see if I can eliminate it. I haven't put the beadlocks in front yet, I wanted to try them out back first, that's where my locker is and where I was having problems with them moving on the rim.

I think it's pretty remarkable that we can set these rigs up for aggressive rock crawling and have them do 70mph on the freeway too. Speaks a lot for the technology. My jeep build-up is only a few months old and a couple of thousand miles so I'm still sorting out a few gremlins.
                      How low do you air down?

Comment

How low do you air down?
                        I ran the 'con at 12psi front and rear, but Erik runs about 8. He gets a lot more squish than I do. I'll be running 8 or so now. On road I run 27 and they sing.

Comment

Working...
                        X