Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DV Innovations Air compressor

OK, here is the story. I met a guy on a trip a few months ago that had one of the [very] inexpenisve air compressors from DV Innovations. The packaging claims that it will move 72lpm (approx 2.5CFM), with a maximum pressure of 150PSI, and a restart pressure of 120psi, with a recommended maximum of 40 minutes cont. use. It comes with a built in thermal overload. The cost....$25.00. Yes, twenty five dollars.

I immediately discounted this compressor because of the cost. I mean, how can they sell a compressor that *supposedly* rivals a Quick-Air II for $25?

Fast forward to late last week. I came across this link:

http://www.gearinstalls.com/pepboys.htm.

Later the same day, I talked to another guy who has one down in texas....he claimed that his would take a 285/75R16 from 15 to 35psi in 3 min 10 seconds.

Not long after that, I came across a 3rd reference to them, on another board. Good reviews there too.

So, for $25 I figured what the hell. I bought 2 of these:
    http://www.dv-innovations.com/products/hv_50.htm, with the plan of running both of them to a single tank, to give me ~5CFM from a single hose.

I tried to do a quick test this morning, but couldn't find my stop watch. I had one tire at 10psi (aired down in anticipation of the test), and 3 at 23psi (bad air guage at the gas station I aired up at after the last trip). Without the stop watch, I figured it wasn't much use to try to time the compressor, so I just hooked it up and turned it on to fill the 10psi tire back up. Once I did that, I walked over to my garage compressor (6hp/30 gallon tank), grabbed the hose and air chuck, and proceeded to fill the remaining tires (at 23psi) to 33psi. Now, it doesn't take long for a 120psi tank to add 10 psi of air to a 33" tire....but by the time I aired up the 3 tires, the little compressor had brought the one tire from 10psi to 37psi! We're talking about a matter of less than 5 minutes. Not bad for 25 bucks.

Now, the one question that remains unanswered, is the service life of the compressor. Only time will tell, but the importer does offer a full line of repair parts.

The catch??? Well, Checker Autoparts (Kragen for you SoCal people), bought these as a promotional item, once they are gone, they are gone. The MSRP for these is $69.99, so if you do find another distributer, expect to pay much more than the $25 at Checker (Kragen).

Anywhoo....I figured I would pass on the info if anyone needs a compressor.....
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Good info. I bought one of these at Shucks for $44 a couple of months ago. I bolted it to the abs plate and hardwired it. It's worked like a charm. My guess is it's from the same factory that the Viair 400p comes from. The specs are nearly identical as is the design.

At $25, I'd buy two. One to use, one for a spare.

Comment

That is the best thing i have heard in a while... an air compressor that a highschooler can afford!!
      thanx much
      Jim
      ../l ,[____],
      l---L--OlllllllO 86 cj7 2.5" lift
      ()_) ()_)----)_)

Comment

Did a quick test last night. With a 285/75R16 MT/r, one compressor can take it from 10psi to 36psi in 4 minutes.

With 2 compressors tied together to a common manifold, it takes 2 minutes 20 seconds to fill the same tire from 10 to 36psi. Not bad for ~$60 (2 compressors and a couple pipe fittings).

KG6OWO

Comment

Well, with father's day coming up and 4 vehicles and the glowing reviews of this compressor, I cleaned out Monrovia, Altadena, and Pasadena of every MV50 they had! The Deep South and Texas have sold out for about 2 weeks now.
          Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
          2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Damn Ted, how many did you get?
            We just ordered 3 - two for my Jeep and a spare.

Thanks for the heads up!
            :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
              Damn Ted, how many did you get?
              We just ordered 3 - two for my Jeep and a spare.

Thanks for the heads up!
              Did you order them online? 'Cause I can't find them local.
              Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

Comment

Originally posted by Jeri Lyn
                Did you order them online? 'Cause I can't find them local.
                Yes I actually went to the store today and they looked at me like I was crazy; I of course left empty handed. We just ordered them online right now and ironically it said the order would be ready to pick up (at the same damn store!) in an hour - kinda funny since "they don't have them in the store," and it's ONLY available for store pickup!?!
                Last edited by sarah; 06-16-05, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Yes I actually went to the store today and they looked at me like I was crazy; I of course left empty handed. We just ordered them online right now and ironically it said the order would be ready to pick up (at the same damn store!) in an hour - kinda funny since "they don't have them in the store," and it's ONLY available for store pickup!?!
                  I tried ordering an hour ago from that site, and I get the "we're out, sorry" message. I found a similar compressor at pep boys, but I have to take a closer look at it.

Comment

I tried ordering an hour ago from that site, and I get the "we're out, sorry" message. I found a similar compressor at pep boys, but I have to take a closer look at it.
                    Try a different ZIP code?

Comment

I had the same problem! When I went to pick up the 4 that I ordered, they told me that they had told the corporate office (who calls and places the orders for pickup), that they were out....but no one bothered to call me and let me know. So, the lady at the parts counter called around to find me 4 here in Tucson. I picked up 3 of them, and sent a buddy for the 4th (since I was getting it for him anyway).

I have also been in touch with DV Innovations. The only retail stores that carry that product is the Checker/Kragen/Schucks chain.

Now, the problem is finding where to mount the second compressor. One of them fits on the ABS plate (I don't have ABS), but I'm not having much luck....
                      Last edited by goodtimes; 06-16-05, 10:45 PM.

KG6OWO

Comment

Pep Boys carries a compressor from the same manufacturer. It is their newer model, but is essentially the same compressor as the MV-50, according to DV Innovations anyway. Pep Boys also charges about $50 for it (still a good deal).

KG6OWO

Comment

i think i'll put one of these on becky's jeep.
                          good score!
                          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by goodtimes
                            Pep Boys carries a compressor from the same manufacturer. It is their newer model, but is essentially the same compressor as the MV-50, according to DV Innovations anyway. Pep Boys also charges about $50 for it (still a good deal).
                            I found a similar one at Pep Boys, $25, specs looks the same.

We'll see

Edit: I bought the MF-1040, which doesn't have the clips to attach directly to the battery. Probably why it was only $25.
                            Last edited by Jeri Lyn; 06-17-05, 09:19 AM.

Comment

found one in sylmar. for 25 bucks I guess I'm gonna get one as a spare.

thanks for the tip bri.
                              myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Working...
                              X