Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSC Trail Cage? Or... ?

Did a quick search and found bits and pieces of information that I wanted.

Basically after a few couple rollovers at TDS (one on the first night of wheeling where I got my driver side front about 6ft off the ground......) and watching some of the idiots go big and almost go home I've decided that one of the next few mods is most certainly going to be a roll cage upgrade.

I've narrowed it down to:

Poison Spyder Customs Trail Bar
    http://www.4x4grouspbuy.com/store/pr...35fd0611dd0fcf

Toys By Troy Spot Bar
    http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/pro...59f6de40aa8402

I'd most likely have the Rock-It Man install it when he has the time... maybe he could custom fab some sort of frame tie-in or something.....

Both of them seem to be good but I am wondering what everybody else's opinion was. Anybody seen either of these two in action? Any design flaws?
    Bryan
    2003 black TJ 4.0 manual
    front-OX-35 rear-OX-44 4.88
    Rock-It Man rear bumper + rock rails, currie front bumper

I like the PSC one personally since the sides go all the way down to the floor and has the lower horizontal crossbar at the windshield. The toysbytroy one has the advantage that it replaces the two top bars while the PSC welds to the factory bars .... so it's kind of a tossup but I would go with PSC.
    Last edited by seapahn; 03-07-05, 10:21 PM.
    03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
    "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

I have the PSC cage in my jeep. It is tied to the floor, but you will lose your 2 front drain holes because of it.

Any of the cages that bolt to the dash (even with the floor tie-in like the PSC) are a compromise on strength (there is a inherent weak spot where the tube attaches to the flat stock at the top of the dash). You might consider looking at the cage that Sarah put in her tj. (clicky-clicky). The only thing I don't like about that one is that it doesn't tie into the windshield frame. But it would be a pretty simple job to cut off the brackets from the OE parts and weld them onto the new cage. You also might want to check with Sarah about how well the door surrounds fit.........I haven't seen one in person, so I am not sure on that.

There was talk late last year about a group purchase for the cages......might save you a couple bucks.....
      olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

I just put in a M.O.R.E. trail cage in my jeep and like the fit. I see where I need to tie in to hte frame though. Lowest priced one.
        “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
        -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

The EOR cage for the TJ was indeed a good project. The only thing that I have to say about EOR's TJ cage is they need to make their instructions a bit more thorough. Maybe if we ever get around to doing a writeup they can just tell people to look at it for more clarification. However, if you are looking for something more "bolt in" that requires little trimming/cutting/fitting/welding, then the PSC cage might be for you. As GT points out, it does have it's weaknesses. The EOR cage, if tied into the frame under the passenger floor is probably going to be as strong as it gets. Depending on what you plan on doing, this may or may not be a high priority for you.
          1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
          My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Keep in mind that the PSC cage kit is not bolt in. You will get all the parts already bent and notched, but it has to be welded together, and welded to the existing OE roll bars.
            olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

What about the Toys By Troy one? Anybody have any other suggestions? Backup your suggestions with reasons please, i want to understand why i am buying a product to protect my life!!!!! :-D
              Bryan
              2003 black TJ 4.0 manual

Comment

Originally posted by goodtimes
                Keep in mind that the PSC cage kit is not bolt in. You will get all the parts already bent and notched, but it has to be welded together, and welded to the existing OE roll bars.
                I did not mean to imply that the cage was bolt in. I think there is only one of those, no? - Toys by Troy being the only one I have seen. And they don't make one of those for CJ's... I'm still a fan of welding, even though I suck at it
                1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Originally posted by Kaffa
                  What about the Toys By Troy one? Anybody have any other suggestions? Backup your suggestions with reasons please, i want to understand why i am buying a product to protect my life!!!!! :-D
                  Talk with Igofshn, (AL) He has that one in his jeep,
                  04TJ, 4.0 5spd
                  4" rough country springs
                  Nth degree arms upper and lower
                  1" Currie MML/BL
                  Jc fab rockers & 1" seat lift
                  33"BFG MT's
                  Lock-rite in the front

Comment

Originally posted by rick
                    I did not mean to imply that the cage was bolt in. I think there is only one of those, no? - Toys by Troy being the only one I have seen. And they don't make one of those for CJ's... I'm still a fan of welding, even though I suck at it
                    M.O.R.E is a bolt in and they got one for CJ's.
                    “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
                    -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

I'm starting to lean more torwards the PSC cage......

The final battle:

TBT Sport Cage vs. PSC Trail Cage

Lets get it on!
                      Bryan
                      2003 black TJ 4.0 manual

Comment

Originally posted by avnative
                        Talk with Igofshn, (AL) He has that one in his jeep,
                        FWIW that setup is VERY noisey. creaks and whatnot while flexing.

I had 4xdoc weld in a custom cage. It's not the cheapest way to go, but it's an option.

myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Working...
                        X