Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Recommendations

I was wondering what kind of tires you guys run? Any tires you guys like a lot, should stay away from, etc...

I am about to by a new set here soon.

97 TJ 3" lift. 33x12.5x15
    Supe
    97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
    Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Goodyear MT/R's.

Joel

Comment

What/how/where do you wheel? Drive it daily, if so how far? Lotsa questions you need to answer first
      Jeff
      OHV76V
      KG6TY
      You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Pov

Tires are a compromise.

Many agree that the trade-offs Goodyear made with the MT/R match their requirements, therefore they like them. Some do not, so they don't.

For me the MT/R is a good value. They are fairly quiet on the road, handle the rocks well, can be aired down to 8psi without probs and resist punctures moderately well.

The Tire Rack has some useful data, with a bit of luck this link should take you to the MT/R.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Chris L.
        "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

I have Pirelli, and well they suck. The rocks eat 'em up and they hydroplane like a pontoon boat.
          [color=grey]Ryan[/color]
          [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]No Jeep To speak of. But I got a Hummer H3[/COLOR]

Comment

Black Rubber...........

Seriously though, I agree with the Goodyear MT/R's They rock!!!!

Jason
            The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT be infringed!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart
              What/how/where do you wheel? Drive it daily, if so how far? Lotsa questions you need to answer first

It is a Daily Driver, Mostly do more trail/Rocks. I drive on average 30 miles a day or so.

I have the BF MT/R's right now. I havnt really had any problems, Just wondering if there is better I should think about. Price is somewhat of a concern.
              Supe
              97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA

Comment

I have 32" BFG mt's and I like them alot. Excellent traction in mud, snow, rocks. A good strong tire I think . Wear is moderate and they're not too loud on the freeway..............which I don't care about tire noise pollution.
                “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
                -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

MT/R's
                  Stay away from Dunlops, and/or any tire CETROV has previously owned/
                  [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                  SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                  Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I have had problems with BFG M/T tires in the past. Lots of holes in sidewalls, not just my rig, but others that I travel with as well. The Goodyear MT/R has a outstanding sidewall, particularly in the 16" sizes. Downside is that they are heavy, and hard to balance (compared to the BFG's). For me (90% street, 10% trail), the MT/R's are worth the trade off to get the better sidewall.
                    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Sounds like the Goodyears seem pretty popular and durable... I am getting some prices right now.

Another question.. Is it bad,(or does it matter much) to run two different sets of tires. I have BF's now and I am only going to replace two tires.
                      Supe

Comment

It messes with my Chi.

I think tire maintenance is almost as important as brand/style. Rotate and balance all the time. It's vital with heavy tires. If you don't you'll hate yourself in the morning. Just sayin'
                        I'm a Daddy!!

[COLOR=DarkRed] Rear bumper/tire carrier and front bumper!![/COLOR]

2002 Jeep TJ (Ember)
                        1982 Jeep J10 w/ a 360

Comment

ROTF

That was funny Mikey!

MT/r's all the way...Just bite the bullet and get the set where ever you buy the tire, dont forget to buy the non prorated warranty at Americas Tire.

Tam
                          2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                          Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Like was said above, lots of choices - especially in 33x12.50. Over the last 10 years (this Jeep) I've run 33x9.50 BFG All Terrains, 32x10.50 Swamper radials, 33x10.50 Swamper radials and 35x12.50 BFG MT's (current tire). Got my current tires for $200 total - used. So far, no complaints.

Swamper was by far the "toughest tire" I've had on this rig - might go to a 38" bias ply next time around. Depending on how set you are on 33's, might be worth it to invest in Goodyear MT/R's.

FWIW, all the Big Bear trails can be done with 4" of lift and 33x9.50 All Terrains
                            Jeff
                            OHV76V
                            KG6TY
                            You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

SSR Series Super Swamper Radial TSL

Originally posted by Old Fart
                              Like was said above, lots of choices - especially in 33x12.50. Over the last 10 years (this Jeep) I've run 33x9.50 BFG All Terrains, 32x10.50 Swamper radials, 33x10.50 Swamper radials and 35x12.50 BFG MT's (current tire). Got my current tires for $200 total - used. So far, no complaints.

Swamper was by far the "toughest tire" I've had on this rig - might go to a 38" bias ply next time around. Depending on how set you are on 33's, might be worth it to invest in Goodyear MT/R's.

FWIW, all the Big Bear trails can be done with 4" of lift and 33x9.50 All Terrains
                              Hey Jeff,

Here's what I've heard about Swampers:

Tough, very tough
                              Flat spot when sitting in the garage, and then vibrate like crazy
                              Noisy
                              The side wall is *so* strong that it won't wrap around the rocks until you get down to 3psi, which requires beadlocks. (The MT/Rs get all squashy around 8psi)

Can you comment - you already said tough

Interco have another tire the SSR Series Super Swamper Radial. Anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.desertrat.com/interco/interco.htm

Interco's naming convention is confusing please be specific, thanks.

Chris L.
                              "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X