Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Mountain Report

On Saturday, June 10, 2006, Supe (TJSupe), George Kropp (TDS SD) and I ran White Mountain.

This is Supe and his white TJ:

This is George with his Blue YJ:

And this is my khaki TJ:

Supe recently installed a STaK 3 Speed 5.44 transfer case, so he has plenty of levers to play with:

White Mountain is located approximately 10 miles northwest of Big Bear Lake. The North Peak rises to 7094 feet and the South Peak rises to 7736 feet. It is part of the ridgeline separating the Big Bear/Arrowhead area from the Lucerne Valley. The trail offers nice views of the area. From the starting point at Fawnskin, we took 3N14 and 4N16 to Coyote Flat. These trails are graded dirt roads and can easily be negotiated in 2 wheel drive:

We passed through the burn area from the October 2003 Old fire:

Our first destination was the North Peak of White Mountain. From Coyote Flat, we turned east on 3N17 and took a short spur to North Peak. Although rough, this trail can still be negotiated by a stock Jeep:

If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

This portion of the trail dead ends about ¼ mile from and about 200 feet below the summit of North Peak:

We backtracked about a mile, and then continued on 3N17 to the saddle between the peaks, where we had a nice view of the Lucerne Valley to the north:

Here’s a view of the ridgeline to the east:

A view to the west (toward Cajon Pass):

And a view to the southeast (toward Big Bear):

We continued southeast on 3N17 and returned to Fawnskin via Big Pine Flat. More pictures of the White Mountain run are posted here
    KI6MLU

Comment

Dead End?

I think Chris (dukes69) and Erik (nailer341) would disagree, that's where the trail begins!
      [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
      Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Desert_Valdez
        I think Chris (dukes69) and Erik (nailer341) would disagree, that's where the trail begins!

My mistake, I'm sure you're correct ; but beyond this point, there is what appears to be the remains of a cattle fence, so to continue to the summit they would have to make a sharp right turn and head directly up the hill!!
        KI6MLU

Comment

I think i have a few of the same pictures....i hunted that area this year during archery deer season. Nice road. Is that the black diamond trail up there or was it just the main road that goes through the south peak and dumps out right by Big Pine Campground?
          87' XJ "Gnarly"

To some ! it's a six-pack, to me it's a Support Group. Salvation in a can!
          ~ Dave Howell

Comment

Originally posted by Nate
            I think i have a few of the same pictures....i hunted that area this year during archery deer season. Nice road. Is that the black diamond trail up there or was it just the main road that goes through the south peak and dumps out right by Big Pine Campground?
            We took 3N17 which follows the ridgeline and reaches 3N16 (the main east-west road) about three miles east of Big Pine Flat Campground. As it crosses South Peak there is an "extra credit" route and a easier bypass but in general, the trail is probably a moderate blue rated instead of a difficult black diamond rated. My Garmin map shows a more direct route that connects South Peak to the Big Pine Flat campground (3N93) but that trail is not shown on the FS map. I tried to find the trail, but the area is steep, overgrown and does not appear to have been used recently; could 3N93 be the black diamond trail that you're thinking of?? or could it be the extra credit portion of 3N17?? Let's go up there again and figure it out!!
            KI6MLU

Comment

There is a black diamond portion that I took my dad's Ram 1500 on until it got really bad Got the rear end about 2.5-3 feet in the air. I have to find my map....love to go out and find it but no one can wheel on the days i have off (tues & wed one week and wed & thurs the next week). Thank god I go back to swingshift mon-fri in Aug! let me know if your able to wheel during the week.
              87' XJ "Gnarly"

To some ! it's a six-pack, to me it's a Support Group. Salvation in a can!
              ~ Dave Howell

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung
                On Saturday, June 10, 2006, Supe (TJSupe), George Kropp (TDS SD) and I ran White Mountain....pics...
                Great pics Russ like always.
                Last edited by sarah; 06-16-06, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X