Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organized Event: HAM Radio Wannabes - This is your last chance to test

HAM Radio Wannabes - This is your last chance to test with the current online and print study guides. After June 30, they are reorganizing and making the test more difficult. Plus you can't borrow your buddy's study guides!

Let's get some more HAM's here on MJR. Their range on the trail is just simply amazing and out performs CBs any day.

It costs $14 CASH and bring a photo ID.

Find a session near you or check out the ones below:

6/26 Temecula
    Time: 1:30 PM (Walk-ins allowed)
    (951) 795-0017
    VEC: ARRL/VEC
    32364 Overland Trl
    Temecula CA 92592-1866

6/27 Wrightwood
    Sponsor: Independent Radio Club
    Time: 1:00 PM (Walk-ins allowed)
    (818) 957-1699
    Email: kchafin1@pacbell.net
    Broken Blade Loop
    Wrightwood CA 92397-9999

6/23 Riverside
    6/30 Riverside
    Sponsor: SBE Chapter 131 VE Group/k6AFN
    Time: 2:00 PM (No walk-ins)
    (951) 232-3725
    Email: bz454670@gmail.com
    23755 Z Street
    Was March Air Reserve Base
    Please pre-register
    Riverside CA 92518-2073
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

thanks Sarah
    Guys, the test as it is right now is one of the easiest it has been in years, and is a good time to get into Ham.
    with a Tech license you can talk on 2 meter and 70 cM radio and get so much greater range and so much cleaner that you will ever get with CB, plus the usual idiot crowd is not there trying to over ride your communication.
    The Tech book and a few weeks studying is easy and you are on your way.
    Plus go here for few practice test
    http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl
    Have Smackos, will travel

Comment

Originally posted by sarah View Post
      HAM Radio Wannabes - This is your last chance to test with the current online and print study guides. After June 30, they are reorganizing and making the test more difficult. Plus you can't borrow your buddy's study guides!

Let's get some more HAM's here on MJR. Their range on the trail is just simply amazing and out performs CBs any day.

It costs $14 CASH and bring a photo ID.
      There is also a test in Rialto on the 26th of this month. See my (just posted before I seen this) post in the ham radio thread for details. Sarah me and Dennis are in for that one. SS card or FRN number is needed also.
      "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

BTW, the 6/27 in Wrightwood will by where Roger and I are having our Field Day. I may be serving as a VE for this testing.

Comment

I have the new book for the test from 2010 to 2014 which I heard doesn't cover the material they are currently studying.. HOWEVER I admit a lot of the test can be thought through... Hopefully I can study some information or get some coffee some time with someone and pick their brain a little and take it either this month or next month.. Or are these tests getting hard to set up?
          Sarcasm is my body's natural response to stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by SAR Jeeper View Post
            BTW, the 6/27 in Wrightwood will by where Roger and I are having our Field Day. I may be serving as a VE for this testing.
            Well now Sar,... in that case I will have to go to Wrightwood instead. Me and Dennis GP4PLAY both see ya on the 27th

Comment

Originally posted by Matt2001TJ View Post
              Well now Sar,... in that case I will have to go to Wrightwood instead. Me and Dennis GP4PLAY both see ya on the 27th
              Come by on Saturday and join me in a beer or two!

Comment

I guess I should really just take the test and worry about buying the equipment later when I'm working on a regular basis again.

I need a game plan for studying. I'm good at taking tests, so I should be able to get up to speed quickly.

Someone please point me in the right direction for what my steps to success should be.

Christian
                "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Originally posted by SAR Jeeper View Post
                  Come by on Saturday and join me in a beer or two!
                  Sar,... that is the day before the test ???

Comment

Originally posted by headhunter View Post
                    I guess I should really just take the test and worry about buying the equipment later when I'm working on a regular basis again.

I need a game plan for studying. I'm good at taking tests, so I should be able to get up to speed quickly.

Someone please point me in the right direction for what my steps to success should be.

Christian
                    Since you said you're good at taking tests, this simple solution should work for you:

1) Read the entire question pool with *only* the right answers.
                    2) Take practice tests.

After reading the entire question pool with only the right answers, you will consistently pass the tests.

Here's the question pool with only the correct answers:
                    http://n4maa.us/tech_ppt/T1_T0TechQ_Aonly.doc

Here's the question pool with all answers:
                    http://www.ncvec.org/downloads/2006tech.pdf

Here's a good link for taking practice tests:
                    http://qrz.com/ham
                    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                      Since you said you're good at taking tests, this simple solution should work for you:

1) Read the entire question pool with *only* the right answers.
                      2) Take practice tests.

After reading the entire question pool with only the right answers, you will consistently pass the tests.

Here's the question pool with only the correct answers:
                      http://n4maa.us/tech_ppt/T1_T0TechQ_Aonly.doc

Here's the question pool with all answers:
                      http://www.ncvec.org/downloads/2006tech.pdf

Here's a good link for taking practice tests:
                      http://qrz.com/ham
                      Thanks, Mat. That's exactly what I need to pass the test.

It's sort of like teaching people to recognize a counterfit bill. You let them play with real money of all denominations and varying ages. You teach them what the characteristics of real money are and after a while they'll be able to intuitively detect a fake.

I'll study that info at the links you've provided and then schedule the test.

Christian
                      "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Mat,

I've completed the first read through of the question pool with only the answers and think I'm pretty close to being able to to take the test. I think I can read through it 2 more times and be ready.

I think I've got the math and formulas down now. Some questions helped to understand the reasoning behind others.

I recommend that anyone thinking about taking the exam just read through this a few times and go for it.

How many questions are on the actual exam and what percentage do you need to get to pass?

Do they let me use a calculator or do I need to do the math in my head?

Thanks again for providing some direction.

Christian

Comment

I just took my first practice exam at qrz.com and missed 1 out of 35 questions. It took me just over 9 minutes to take it.

I looked at the list of places to take it and found one that's open to walk-ins giving the test tomorrow morning at 8:30. Maybe I'll go.

Christian

Comment

Christian they will let you have a calculator if you want one. And There are 35 questions and you can miss no more than 9. Youll pass no problem.
                            Those left standing
                            Will make millions
                            Writing books on ways
                            It should have been
                            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

There are 35 questions. One from each section. I believe you can miss 9 and be OK.

A couple of the sections are similar, and it will seem like the same question (safety comes up in the "electrical" section, the "antenna" section, etc.) and are very similar. All but 1 of the questions that have "all of the above" are actually "all of the above" which I believe is something like 9 of the 300 questions. In other words, if you see "all of the above" there's a high probability that it is the correct answer.

Reading the questions a couple times and you'll be fine. However, if you have any questions on anything like the math, modulation types, etc. just post up, somebody can probably answer.
                              If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X