X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MJR Field Day 2010

For the non-hams:
    Field Day is a 24 hour "contest" in which ham operators set up their operations to simulate "emergency" situations. They do this usually in public parks, campgrounds, etc. You run your radio's off emergency power (batteries, generators, solar, etc.) You use portable antennas, usually wires in the tree's, etc.

Oh yeah, YES you can talk to Canada!!!

There are literally thousands of operators world wide that participate in this event. During Field Day, I have spoken to Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Japan, and all of the 50 U.S. States.

The primary language of Amateur Radio is English. No need to learn Canadian to participate.

The Event is held the last weekend of June. It starts at 11am on Saturday June 26th and ends at 11am on June 27th (2010).

OK...What do you guys think about having our First Annual MJR Field Day Event!?

I have an HF rig that covers 6m-160m with 100w output. I have an 8 band vertical which I could probably disassemble and reassemble. I also have a tuner with a 10m-80m dipole.

Anyone else interested!?!?

[roll]514[/roll]
    Last edited by sarah; 04-16-10, 06:28 PM.

Oh yeah...suggestions for a location!!!

Comment

I would go but I am already going to OAUSA's field day in Big Bear. We are going to do some wheeling too.
      Those left standing
      Will make millions
      Writing books on ways
      It should have been
      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I'm interested, but it's the weekend a friend is visiting from TX, and our daughter's birthday party. I hear one of the ham clubs in my area goes to Guajome Park which is about a mile from my house. I plan on stopping by for at least an hour or two to check it out, chat with folks (in person) and I'll have my mobile setup by them (I hope... ), but I will probably not be participating. I have limited time and equipment.
        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I'm in. I have an older tube type Drake TR4 covering 10, 15, 40, & 80 Meter bands. I'll need to come up with an antenna for it...
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Possible locations:
            I have a cabin in Frazier Park. Large deck. Reliable power to recharge batteries. Cons would be Power Lines and neighbors!

Another location, that I will scout soon, is in Frazier Park, there is a dirt road that takes you up high, and you can see forever. I believe the road is 2wd. Unsure of camping up there.

Comment

Cool! It looks like we're free. I'll talk to Rick. And Roger. (So he can tell me what I need to bring hehe)
              :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Ok...another option here.

The radio club that I usually do Field Day with will be doing it at Table Mountain Campground, near Wrightwood. Not too far from any of us.

Advantage: They have plenty of radio's, antenna's, etc. They will have other modes going, that we can't (sstv, psk-31, satellite, etc.) Years of set-up practice, so it goes a lot smoother.

Disadvantage: We don't get to use MRJ Club call. We have to reserve and pay for a campsite. We have to use their radio's and antennas, not our own.

I'm going up to Frazier Park on the 23rd of this month. I will be scouting for remote locations, with easy access. I'll take photos and GPS coordinates and let you guys know what I found.

Comment

Thanks for taking the lead on this Steve. U-da-man!
                  MJR moderator
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

Ok...
                    I booked campsite #10 at Table Mountain in Angeles National Forest, near Wrightwood.

I just got off the phone with Roger, and he will be in Site #8.

Our Sites are adjacent, so we'll use the space to set up some antenna's.

There will also be the Independent Radio Club doing their field day activities.

Each site can hold 2 vehicles, and 8 people. I'm unsure of parking if you are not camping.

Make Reservations at www.recreation.gov 1(888)448-1474
                    Dates are June 25-27.
                    Campground is Table Mountain (Angeles)

Comment

I added a roll call to the first post.
                      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Thanks

Comment

I have almost everything I need to build this antenna for field day: http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=4180

Steve, do you think the USFS would have a problem with it? It would be no different than driving in tent stakes.
                          MJR moderator
                          Jeep Patrol Leader
                          Reforestation Supervisor
                          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                          Eagle Scout

Comment

don't see which antenna on the link. Forest Service should be cool with most, as long as its not permanent. In years past, we have strung wires through trees, tied to trees, and no problems.

I'm gonna bring my 8 band vertical. Cement base with guys, it should hopefully work well.

Comment

Try this link: http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump.cgi?ID=4180

I want to try my hand at coming up with a complete HF station for emergency communications.
                              MJR moderator
                              Jeep Patrol Leader
                              Reforestation Supervisor
                              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                              Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                              X