Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Rubicon 13, 14, 20 or 21 Aug 11

Does anyone planning on running the Rubicon either of these weekends? I have a Conference in Vegas 15-19 Aug and if one of you guys was going, I was thinking of towing the Jeep, leaving it with a friend near Sacramento, then pressing on to Vegas. I have either weekend free to hit the trail for a full 24 hours or so. I'm not afraid of running one way in the day and the way back at night, but always carry camping gear just in case.

I have the week off from the 13th to the 21st, I've never been to the rubicon trail, but I'd love to give it a shot, if there are some trails I can hit with a rubicon on 32s, 2" spring lift 1.25" body lift. I hope to do some wheeling that week, since I have been busy at work lately.

If there's a group going anytime inbetween August 13th to the 21st, I'd love to join!
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Our Jeeps are about equal and our experience on the Rubicon are equal, so we can make a group. I should be able to make Sacramento area mid Saturday the 13th and we can start the trail in the late afternoon, camp and finish the ride into late Sunday. Or Friday the 19th to the 20th.

Comment

It's about a 6 hour drive for me to get to Sacramento, so I most likely wouldn't be able to get there until around noon as well. I'm fine with 13th and 14th, or 19th and 20th. Maybe we can get someone to join us who has been there before?
        Last edited by daniel_buck; 08-03-11, 12:07 PM.
        [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

Lets plan on the 19th unless someone pipes in they want to do it on the 13th. I'm prepared to run it without a guide. Do you have a CB?

Comment

I am going the week of the 14th=19th with Tom and crew... looks like that will be when you are in Vegas. I am a newbie to say the least! Here is the link for Tom's trip for future reference: http://www.4x4training.com/Adventures/Rubicon.html

Brett

Comment

Originally posted by Rubiclone View Post
              Lets plan on the 19th unless someone pipes in they want to do it on the 13th. I'm prepared to run it without a guide. Do you have a CB?
              Yes, I do have a CB.

I have not been on trails this difficult before, and this trail isn't exactly a light-weight trail? I'm thinking we should probably at least go with someone who has driven the trail before, eh? I don't really have experience spotting difficult stuff, and don't have much recovery experience other than simple straight-line winching from a tree.

I think I would be more comfortable if at least one person going has run it before unless the portion of the trail in the short time we are there isn't as difficult as what I have heard. (normally takes like 4 days to do, we would just be doing the beginning 1/2+ day's worth of trail?).

Comment

My experience on the Rubicon, is that it is not that difficult, It is relentless, the rocks never stop, and so you can get mental fatigue, and then you make a mistake.
                06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
                07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

I'll go alone then, the regulars do it out and back in one day all the time. I've got thousands of miles of experience and run over a hundred miles in a single day all the time. Something new by myself doesn't worry me as long as it's not Black Diamond, which the Rubicon is not. Usually on solo trips I get to latch onto small groups who just happen to be doing the same thing, which I expect will be the case there anyways it being during a weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by vwtipeii View Post
                    I am going the week of the 14th=19th with Tom and crew... looks like that will be when you are in Vegas. I am a newbie to say the least! Here is the link for Tom's trip for future reference: http://www.4x4training.com/Adventures/Rubicon.html

Brett
                    I'm jealous that you get to do it in 4 days. but I wouldn't pay someone that doesn't supply food and drinks.

Comment

Originally posted by mrchips View Post
                      My experience on the Rubicon, is that it is not that difficult, It is relentless, the rocks never stop, and so you can get mental fatigue, and then you make a mistake.
                      I suspect that may come into play, hence I'm prepared to pitch a tent for some shuteye.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubiclone View Post
                        I'll go alone then, the regulars do it out and back in one day all the time. I've got thousands of miles of experience and run over a hundred miles in a single day all the time. Something new by myself doesn't worry me as long as it's not Black Diamond, which the Rubicon is not. Usually on solo trips I get to latch onto small groups who just happen to be doing the same thing, which I expect will be the case there anyways it being during a weekend.
                        I will have to back out then, I am sorry, I'm not comfortable with these circumstances. I am not a regular there, and neither are you. And I prefer to hit trails with someone who has already driven it before, otherwise how do you know what to expect? That is more than what I think I am ready to handle without someone there with prior knowledge of the trail. Maybe that's not the case, maybe it is possible to hit the trail and back in one day or to hit a good chunk of it successfully without prior knowledge of the trail, but I'm not ready to go at that pace. Please don't hold that against me for backing out, I just don't think I'm up to snuff for that. I do wish you the best of luck though, as I hope to do this trail myself sometime. :-) Do report back on how the trip goes! :-)
                        Last edited by daniel_buck; 08-04-11, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Thanks for thinking about going Dan, hope to post a report of a fun run.

Comment

Just came back from the Jeep Jamboree on the Rubicon Trail. I would not run that trail alone. I have done it twice now, both with the Jamboree. From Loon Lake to Rubicon Springs took anywhere from 5-9 hours. From Rubicon Springs to Lake Tahoe is another 3+. There are lots of rocks built up in difficult parts making the trail a little easier since two Jamboree's have just gone through the trail.

There were a few vehicles with 32s, but they struggled. 2 of them puctured holes in their oil pans (no skid plate). I have 33s with 3" lift and 1" body lift. I got through fine, but scraped a lot.

Comment

I found a couple NoCal guys going that I'll be hooking up with. Thanks for the report.

Comment

Working...
                              X